ABOUT The 1888 House:
The 1888 House is a beautiful, historic home located steps from the Dahlonega square. Once called “The Higgins’ Home,” the most easily accessible records showed the home was constructed in 1888 and has been home to past University of North Georgia presidents as well as notable Dahlonega residents, including a judge and editor of the Dahlonega Nugget. The home was purchased by Catherine and Johnny Ariemma in 2016 and lovingly restored by them to its former glory. Family friend, Dr. Manny Carvalho, stumbled upon some rare documents and discovered the home was not actually constructed in 1888, but was built in 1883! As with much Dahlonega lore, the family believed that the home should be called The 1888 House as a nod to the buried secrets left behind by Dahlonega residents of yesteryear, plus it just sounded better!
The 1888 House was restored by the same family who saved the historic “McGuire House”, which is now known as The Dahlonega Square Hotel & Villas. It is their dearest wish that The 1888 House come alive again with happy memories from special events for years to come.